BE (Elec), LLB
Patent Attorney (Trans-Tasman)
Director, Terry IP Patent Attorneys Limited
Director, Terry IP Law Limited
D: +64 4 499 8553
M: +64 21 495 297
Patents, designs, copyright, confidential information and commercialisation
Communications, electronics, mechanical and software
- IP strategy development and implementation
- Commercialisation of IP
- IP management and education
- Due diligence
- Drafting and prosecuting patents and designs
- Contentious IP proceedings
- Training, coaching and capability development
Over the last 30 years, John has worked for major New Zealand and UK patent attorney firms, and has been internationally recognised as one of New Zealand’s leading attorneys. John was recognised as an IP Star by Managing Intellectual Property, as a Best Lawyer for intellectual property, and as one of the top advisors in the world for patent strategy in the IAM Strategy 300.
John’s specialist field is patents, and he heads the firm’s patents team. He has particular expertise in communications technology, electronics, mechanical and software.
John advises a wide range of major international corporations as to protection and enforcement of their IP in New Zealand including in contentious proceedings. John has, for a number of years now, drafted and secured patents internationally for various US based multinationals while based in Wellington.
As well as providing general patent attorney services, John has provided consultancy services to a wide range of New Zealand high net worth individuals and venture capitalists and foreign entities and investors to develop their IP strategies and implement them. This work has involved John advising on the conduct of IP audits and due diligence, and undertaking general peer review work. John is a provider of IP strategy development services under the Callaghan Innovation IP programme.
John is commercially focused and has been successful in assisting companies to commercialise their technology. Clients value John’s pragmatic commercial approach.
- Compudigm International Ltd and Bally Technologies Inc v Cardno  NZIPOPAT 31
- Hasan v Ministry of Health  NZIPOPAT 2
- Seahorse Equipment Limited v Brand Developers Limited  NZIPOPAT 3
- Brand Developers v Ezibuy, Action Sports & Fitness and others CIV-2010-404-007593  NZHC 50
- New Zealand Open Source Society v Microsoft Corporation,  NZIPOPAT
- Assa Abloy New Zealand Limited v Aluminium Systems NZ Limited HC Wellington CIV 2010-485-2  NZHC 1014 (13 April 2010)
- The Sporting Exchange Limited v New Zealand Racing Board  NZIPOPAT 29
- Commissioner of Inland Revenue v Compudigm International Ltd (in rec and in liq)  NZHC 1832; (2010) 24 NZTC 24,579;  NZCCLR 6