BE (Hons) (Elec), LLB
Patent Attorney (Trans-Tasman and Singapore)
Director, Terry IP Patent Attorneys Limited
Director, Terry IP Law Limited
D: +64 9 975 1079
M: +64 21 319 059
Patents, designs, copyright, confidential information and litigation
Communications, electronics, mechanical and software
- IP strategy development and implementation
- Commercialisation of IP
- IP management and education
- Due diligence
- Drafting and prosecuting patents and designs
- Contentious IP proceedings
- Training, coaching and capability development
Blayne has 20 years of experience as a patent attorney and lawyer specialising in electronics and communications patents. He has a strong track record drafting and litigating patents in this area, in New Zealand, Australia, Singapore and around the world.
He has been internationally recognised as a leading practitioner by Managing IP, IAM magazines and Asia IP in patent prosecution, copyright law and IP litigation. The quotes from clients and competitors include that Blayne is “enthusiastically endorsed for his electronics know-how”, is a “tremendous practitioner of patent law” and an “Asia IP Expert”. Blayne is a provider of IP capability development services under the Callaghan Innovation IP programme.
Blayne has an electrical and electronic engineering degree from the University of Canterbury and a law degree from the University of Auckland. He practised in Auckland for 7 years (as an associate with AJ Park), before practising in Singapore for 10 years (lately as a partner with Marks&Clerk). Blayne is also a senior member of the IEEE, a fellow of the NZ Institute of Patent Attorneys and a member of the NZ and Auckland Law societies.
- Managing IP, IP Stars — Patent Star (2021)
- IAM Media, Patent 1000 — Recommended Individual (2020)
- Who’s Who Legal — Recommended for Patents (2020)
- Emtelle UK Ltd v Ericsson Communications Ltd & Ors. CIV 2016-404-1562
- HC and Tourplan Pacific Ltd v Australian Tours Management Pty Ltd CIV 2016-404-650 HC
- Ian James Burden & ors v Dixie Cummings New Zealand Ltd & Burden Furniture Ltd & ors CIV-2015-404-1608
- Assa Abloy New Zealand Limited v Allegion (New Zealand) Limited  NZHC 173
- Azen Manufacturing Pte Ltd v Leseman Davis Llc S1139/2013
- ADC Telecommunications Inc. v. Starview International Pte Ltd S567/2013
- O-Stable Sdn Bhd & 2 Ors v He-Con Sdn Bhd & 4 Ors MT3-22-15-2006
- MEMC Electronics Materials, Inc.  SGIPOS 11
- “An International Comparison of Government Funding for R&D and IP Costs” Lexology (2020).
- “Strange Bedfellows: Marrying Deep Tech with IP Strategy” Lexology (2020).
- “Funding for IP and R&D in New Zealand” Lexology (2020).
- “Asian Governments encouraging IP financing” Lexology (2013).
- “Asia’s subjective problem” Managing Intellectual Property (2011).
- “Avoid the misrepresentation trap” Managing Intellectual Property (2007).
- “Anti-competitive provisions in the Patents Act” Managing Intellectual Property (2006).
- “Search and Examination deadlines clarified” Managing Intellectual Property (2005).
- “Singapore consolidates drug laws” Managing Intellectual Property (2005).