Funding for IP and R&D in New Zealand
There are many sources of funding, grants and tax incentives available to New Zealand businesses. We have put together a brief list of some of the key sources of funding available (as of 2021), but this is always changing.
The New Zealand government recognises how important intellectual property advice is to New Zealand businesses and provides the following IP programmes:
- Beyond IP to develop and implement an intangible asset strategy (40% contribution for up to $25,000 spend) from Callaghan Innovation
- Getting Started Grant including patent FTO searches (40% contribution for up to $12,500 spend) from Callaghan Innovation)
- Capability Voucher (50%) from NZTE
- Mentoring (Regional)
A large range of sources of funding are now available ranging from friends and family, angel investors, high net worth individuals, seed investors, equity crowdfunding through to Venture Capitalists (VCs) and corporate investors. A comprehensive list of sources of funding can be found here.
Some common R&D funding sources are:
- R&D Project grants (40%) through Callaghan Innovation – currently paused
- R&D loss tax credit (28%) through IRD
- R&D tax incentive (15%) through IRD
- Endeavor Fund
- Catalyst Fund
- PreSeed Accelerator Fund
- Māori Business Growth Support
- Māori Innovation Fund
- Provincial Growth Fund
Where Do I Start?
We want to understand your business and how we can help you and are happy to discuss which options may be best suited to you. Get in touch with John Terry if you need any assistance.