Ellis Terry is a boutique intellectual property law firm, founded in 2009 by former partners one of New Zealand’s oldest and largest intellectual property firms. Established to serve a local and international client base, but with a strong New Zealand client focus, we provide advice and expertise in all aspects of intellectual property.
We offer legal and strategic advice to innovative entrepreneurs, corporations, inventors, designers, and artists. Our patent attorneys are experts in mechanical, electrical, computer and software engineering. Our trade marks team works with clients from a variety of industries, including food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, technology, film and entertainment, insurance, farming and agricultural, building, clothing and textiles, automotive and wine.
What Others Are Saying
While we judge our success by the clients we serve, we are proud to be recognised through industry awards.
New Zealand Law Awards
- Intellectual Property Specialist Law Firm of the Year Finalist (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
Managing IP, IP Stars
- Patent Prosecution, Tier 2 (2021)
- Patent Contentious, Notable Firm (2021)
- Individual Patent Stars (2021): John Terry
- Individual Rising Star (2021): Mathew Campbell
IAM Media, Strategy 300
- Recommended Individual (2022): John Terry
IAM Media, Patent 1000
- Recommended Firm, Litigation and Prosecution (2022)
- Recommended Individuals (2022): John Terry
- Recommended Individuals (2022): Mathew Campbell
- Patent Contentious – Tier 2 (2021)
- Patent Prosecution – Tier 1 (2021)
Who’s Who Legal
- Recommended Patents (2021): John Terry
- Appointed service providers to Beyond IP programme.
Ellis Terry is the trading name for the firms Terry IP Patent Attorneys Limited, Terry IP Law Limited, and Ellis Terry Limited. Terry IP Patent Attorneys Limited is an incorporated patent attorney firm, and Terry IP Law Limited is an incorporated law firm.