Patents, designs, copyright, confidential information and litigation
Communications, electronics, mechanical and software
- IP strategy development and implementation
- Commercialisation of IP
- IP management and education
- Due diligence
- Drafting and prosecuting patents and designs
- Contentious IP proceedings
Blayne has 20 years of experience as a patent attorney and lawyer specialising in electronics and communications patents. He has a strong track record drafting and litigating patents in this area, in New Zealand, Australia, Singapore and around the world.
He has been internationally recognised as a leading practitioner by ManagingIP, IAM magazines and Asia IP in 2013-2018 in patent prosecution, copyright law and IP litigation. The quotes from clients and competitors include that Blayne is “enthusiastically endorsed for his electronics know-how”, is a “tremendous practitioner of patent law” and an “Asia IP Expert”.
Blayne has an electrical and electronic engineering degree from the University of Canterbury and a law degree from the University of Auckland. He practised in Auckland for 7 years (as an associate with AJ Park), before practising in Singapore for 10 years (lately as a partner with Marks&Clerk). Blayne is also a senior member of the IEEE, a fellow of the NZ Institute of Patent Attorneys and a member of the NZ and Auckland Law societies.
- Emtelle UK Ltd v Ericsson Communications Ltd & Ors. CIV 2016-404-1562
- HC and Tourplan Pacific Ltd v Australian Tours Management Pty Ltd CIV 2016-404-650 HC
- Ian James Burden & ors v Dixie Cummings New Zealand Ltd & Burden Furniture Ltd & ors CIV-2015-404-1608
- Assa Abloy New Zealand Limited v Allegion (New Zealand) Limited  NZHC 173
- Azen Manufacturing Pte Ltd v Leseman Davis Llc S1139/2013
- ADC Telecommunications Inc. v. Starview International Pte Ltd S567/2013
- O-Stable Sdn Bhd & 2 Ors v He-Con Sdn Bhd & 4 Ors MT3-22-15-2006
- MEMC Electronics Materials, Inc.  SGIPOS 11
Recent publications (links are included):
- “Asia’s subjective problem”, Managing Intellectual Property, February 2011 www.managingip.com.
- “Avoid the misrepresentation trap”, Managing Intellectual Property, May 2007 www.managingip.com.
- “Anti-competitive provisions in the Patents Act”, Managing Intellectual Property, April 2006 www.managingip.com.
- “Search and Examination deadlines clarified”, Managing Intellectual Property, December 2005 www.managingip.com.
- “Singapore consolidates drug laws”, Managing Intellectual Property, October 2005 www.managingip.com.